· Be clear: create the vision and the destination
o Create team operating mission
o Create team based objectives aligned to the needs of the business
o Create plans that are aligned with objectives
o Communicate, communicate, communicate
· Empower: serve as a mentor and empower your teams to lead and achieve objectives
o You’re the coach not the start player
o Empower them to won their destiny
o Let them set the deadlines, then they own it
o Let them own and represent their work
· Delegate and measure: measure and hold teams accountable
o Once you have the objectives set the team needs to build the detailed plan with quantifiable metrics to measure success
o Publish plan to all constituents for buy-in and accountability
o Manage through the R/Y/G bi-weekly
o Public monthly dashboard
Eileen talked about the “soft stuff” – and the creation of a “marketing manifesto”. No more “learned helplessness” –
· Manage the present – we can’t control how we feel but we can control how we act:
o Boldly lead. Have an opinion. Voice it.
o Develop the right attitude.
o Accept change.
o Accept grey.
o Get faster. Perfect is the enemy good.
o Be flexible.
o Don’t take things personally.
o Protect the family.
o We are as strong as our weakest link.
o Be accountable.
o Don’t procrastinate.
· Selectively forget the past – was it really so much better before? Really?
· Create the future – we own our own futures. Keep your skills sharp. Continually learn. Keep pushing.